There's literally nothing better than a summer holiday, don’t you agree? The thought of sun, sea and sangria gives us LIFE. However, one thing that we don’t always love is how tough the summer sun can be on our hair. The heat, chlorine and lack of time often means we can return home with a glorious tan, but dull, frazzled or even green hair.
If you’re looking to maintain your hair’s health the next time you go away, then we’re here to help. We jetted to the beautiful island of Holbox with Benefit Cosmetics and a team of blogger babes earlier this year, and while there our stylists gave us plenty of tips for ensuring your summer holiday styles slay, but don't wreck your hair. You and your sun-kissed locks can thank us later.
HOLIDAY HAIR HACKS
- Always arrange a visit to your hairdresser before you get on the plane. Get those dead ends snipped off and treat yourself to a luxurious deep conditioning treatment to inject some moisture, and enhance shine before you hit that beach.
- Ensure you pack some hair heroes in your luggage! First, take a silk pillowcase to protect your hair from frizzing while you catch your beauty sleep. It might sound a little extra, bringing your own pillowcase on holiday, but trust us – it works WONDERS. It reduces friction which helps to prevent frizz and even face wrinkles – result! We LOVE the Slip Silk cases. Also essential is a hair tie that won’t cause damage, like the invisibobble.
- All of our experts agreed that washing your hair as little as possible while on holiday is best. Most people have a tendency to wash their hair every day on holiday (we get it - we’re tempted too) but this will strip your hair of its natural oils and you’ll end up with more grease in the long run. This coupled with the drying effect of the sun can mean a hair mare!
- So, we recommend washing your hair on day one and then avoiding washing it for as long as possible.
- For the ultimate multi-tasking hair, start day one by styling your hair into waves. Spritz hair with our Magical Potion and use our temperature-controlled Micro Wand on a temperature that will ensure long-lasting curls. For a dreamy island-babe look like Ling's below, pick some flowers to add into the hair!
- For day two we recommend investing in a statement hat. Not only will you look CHIC, you’ll protect your hair from the sun and maintain those curls. Our favourite hat RN is this cute embroidered number from Kate Spade.
- If that fabulous hat has left you with flat hat hair after a day in the sun, use a product that will absorb any oils and give you some volume. Colour Wow's Style On Steroids spray is perfect for this – plus it smells amazing too.
- To update your look for the evening, a vibe which we’re still loving is the space bun – they’re super easy to create and work on most lengths of hair. Below we"ve got Leila Loves wearing hers in Mexico. Dreamy!
- When you do come to washing that hair, make sure you protect it!
- Use a nourishing, colour protecting shampoo & conditioner, and why not put a sneaky mask on too while you’re relaxing in your room before heading out?
- If you’ve been hitting the pool and chlorine is an issue, try Colour Wow Brass Banned Mousse. Apply it to your damp hair to counteract any unwanted tones you may have developed during your trip away.
- When drying your hair, make sure you use use our secret weapon - the Magical Potion. It works perfectly with our Airshot hairdryer for protecting your hair and reducing drying time by up to 50%!
So, that’s it! You can now start over with these tips to ensure your hair remains luscious throughout your entire trip. You’re going to look amazing!
TAG US: If you do follow our advice, make sure to tag us in your images or videos on social media. We LOVE seeing your looks! Use #CloudNineHair and we’ll share as many as we can.