Looking for new ways to achieve stronger, unstoppable locks? Put the chemicals away and dial down the heated stylers. It’s time to get to the root of your hair health – and that starts with the CLOUD NINE 9-Day Detox. Read on to learn everything you need to know about hair cleansing, so you can feel inspired throughout every step of the journey. Science never looked so good.
About the author
Mathilde Heather is a hair stylist and salon owner operating in Bath, UK. She specialises in short hair styling and regularly shares tutorials about achieving healthy, great-looking hair. Follow Mathilde on Instagram.
Today’s Task: Hydration Boost
1. Skip the shampoo and wash with a hydrating conditioner only. This is known as a co-wash.
2. Apply a deep conditioning mask for extra moisture, leaving it on for the recommended time.
3. Rinse with cool water to seal the hair cuticles and enhance shine.
What you’ll learn:
- What is a hair detox?
- What are the benefits of a hair detox?
- How often should I detox my hair?
- Hair structure and detoxification
- Detox methods: natural and commercial
- Key takeaways
What is hair detox?
A hair detox is a complete 360° reset designed to enrich the scalp, remove excess buildup, and encourage healthy hair growth. Out with the dull, and in with the full!
Air pollution, sun exposure and seasonal changes are just a few of the factors commonly shown to hinder hair health. Add harsh chemicals into the equation – and it’s no wonder many of us struggle to achieve gleaming locks.
So, if you find your hair feels oily, flaky, or just plain frazzled – it’s time to give it the TLC it deserves.
What are the benefits of a hair detox?
While the benefits of hair detoxes are noticeable from the first few days, the long-lasting results prove that it’s not just a wellness fad.
Here are just some of the ways hair detoxification can help your hair thrive for months to come:
- Rid the hair of residue - Whether it’s product buildup, dead skin cells or exposure to pollutants, any lingering residue results in dull, ‘heavy’ feeling hair. A deep cleanse revitalises the scalp, transforming the way your locks look and feel.
- Allow for effective hair management - When this residue is removed, you can make the most of your favourite products thanks to better absorption, helping you to achieve more effective styling.
- Stimulate hair growth - Clogged follicles can cause thinning of the hair. A detox encourages new hair growth by renewing these follicles.
- Reduce scalp issues - Hair detoxes are specifically designed to target and rebalance the scalp, relieving itchiness by providing some much-needed breathing space.
- Promote silkier, shinier hair - We all want shampoo-ad-worthy hair flicks. But this can only be achieved by ridding your hair of excess oils and residue. Embark on a deep clean and you’ll soon see that vibrancy return.
Purify the hair of odour -Ever noticed an unpleasant smell come from your hair? That’s usually down to pollutants in the air that stick to the build up of dirt on the hair. But don’t worry, your hair health journey prepares you for a future of fresher-smelling hair.
How often should I detox my hair?
There’s no blanket answer when it comes to the recommended frequency of hair detoxing – this depends entirely on your hair type, existing maintenance routine, work space, and lifestyle. If you use a lot of products and wash regularly, it’s worth doing a hair detox every two to three weeks to keep buildup at bay.
What factors contribute to poor hair health?
We’ve covered the basics of hair detoxification, but what exactly are the factors that cause havoc with our hair structure in the first place? Once you know what to look out for, you’ll be able to make smarter, hair-loving decisions moving forward. Let’s cut to it.
There’s a multitude of hair care products available on the shelves today. Avoid these red-flag ingredients when shopping for your strands, and your future self (and hair) will thank you.
- Mineral oils
- Synthetic fragrances
- Denatured alcohols, such as Alcohol Denat, SD Alcohol 3-A, and SD Alcohol 30
Dull and lacklustre hair is typically down to one culprit: product buildup.
From mousse, hairspray, and dry shampoo right through to serums and oils, our hair harbours a whole lot of residue. And without proper cleansing, these products will continue to bind to the hair. This can lead to extreme dullness, lifelessness, and make it challenging to style hair.
A simple hair wash isn’t always powerful enough to cut through the dirt, which is why embarking on a regular hair detox is key for maintaining healthier, happier locks.
Ultra-high heat styling
For years, consumers have been misled into thinking they need to use unnecessarily high temperatures to achieve the best hair results. But take it from us: you don’t need to go hot to look hot.
Temperatures over 150°C impact the shape of your hair’s keratin strands, resulting in weak, breakage-prone hair. But it doesn’t stop there. High heat also strips away the natural oils in your hair leading to a lack of moisture, which can cause the hair structure to be fragile and, you guessed it, more split ends.
The bottom line? Turn the dial down to turn your hair health up.
The CLOUD NINE Wide Iron Pro’s Revive Mode is ideal for controlling the heat without sacrificing results. Its Axial Vibration™ technology breaks the cycle of damage with a 150°C temperature pre-set and maximum frequency vibration for low-heat, high-impact styling - without hair breakage.
Learn more about the Wide Iron Pro today and unlock damage-free heat styling.
Detox methods: natural and commercial
Hair detox mask
The beauty of a hair detox mask is that they don’t have to cost the earth. In fact, you needn’t look much further than your kitchen cupboards. Apple cider vinegar, baking soda, honey and lemon are all powerful hair-cleansing ingredients. Try this one for a simple hair cleanse:
Detoxifying Cider Vinegar & Honey Mask
1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2-1 teaspoon olive oil
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and apply to wet hair, from roots to ends. Relax for 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
Or, if you’d rather let the labs do the work, opt for a store-bought mask with ‘detoxifying’ or ‘clarifying’ properties. This will help to remove buildup and promote shinier strands. Bonus points if it contains aloe vera, a natural conditioner that soothes scalp irritation.
You can buy hair care products specifically designed for cleansing and exfoliating the scalp. As always, reach for a formula without sulphates and parabens to ensure you’re detoxifying – not drying – your hair.
These come in various forms, but the most common are physical or chemical exfoliants (to unclog hair follicles), surfactants (to rinse residue) and apple cider vinegar. The latter is a great natural way to rid the hair of buildup – and it’s incredibly budget-friendly.
Want something a little more accessible? Try a clarifying shampoo – just make sure it suits your specific hair type.
In case you need a new reason to incorporate a relaxing massage into your self-care routine, we’ve got you. A scalp massage is a surefire way to stimulate hair growth by stretching the hair follicles and improving blood flow. The result? More voluminous strands, free from residue.
Simply use your fingertips to massage the scalp for around five minutes. This can be done while washing your hair, with your favourite oil or hair mask, or simply on the scalp without product.
Never underestimate the simple act of gently brushing your hair. With the right brush and technique, you can achieve gleaming (and of course, tangle-free) locks.
Brushing can stimulate the sebaceous glands and evenly distributes natural oils throughout your hair, helping to promote shiny, moisturised strands. Go for a soft natural bristle brush with rounded ends to avoid tugs while brushing and a wide-toothed comb for untangling hair when wet.
The CLOUD NINE Luxury Dressing Brush is the perfect tool for the job. With nylon bristles and a flexible cushion pad, it gently styles without excess breakage, while also helping to disperse your scalp’s natural oils from root to tip.
Shop the Luxury Dressing Brush to upgrade your daily detangle.
The science of hair detox: key takeaways
- Ridding the hair of product buildup is essential for achieving healthier hair that both looks and feels amazing.
- Understanding the factors that lead to hair damage – such as exposure to toxins and high-temperature heat styling – will help you make more conscious decisions in your hair health journey.
- Incorporating a hair detox into your bi-weekly or monthly wellness routine will ensure you stay on top of your hair game, day after day.
We, the unstoppable.
Ready to join our community of hair lovers on the ultimate hair health journey? Start the CLOUD NINE 9-Day Detox and watch your strands go from strength to strength.
Go back to Day 1: Kickstarting Your Hair Detox
Go forward to Day 3: Hair Detox Routines